[Carpetx-developers] Weekly call at 10:00AM Eastern

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 20 10:26:24 CDT 2021

Hello all,

minutes:

* Sam Cupp reported on timing tests for Minkowsky using Z4c vs.
McLachlan. Showed total time graph. Using gcc, which produces somewhat
sub-optimal code (still true in gcc 11, but fixed in master branch).
	* Total tme plot included (timed with time). Should be using
CCTK_EVOL+CCTK_PRESTEP etc. bin timer.

* Jay tried Balsara1 tests, plotted exact solution over simulation
output.
	* graphs do not line up (more structure in exact solution), in
particualr exact solution would display non-zero vy but we have zero vy
(both in ID and during evolution).
	* test is technically magnetised but we left out magnetic
field, need a test with zero magnetic field
	* suggest using Sod test which is non-magnetised, exact
solution may be (not quite clear) in Marti&Müller
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/lrca-2015-3 or in Bruno'scode
as long as one sets up ID with zero magnetic field
* Lorenzo had some issue getting new code to download, Erik helped
setting up the required symbolic links from repo checkout to
arrangements
* continued cleaning up code, with Lorenzo typing
	* noticed that code is much cleaner than last time already
	* Steve will set up DeepBayou accoutns for all that ask so that
we have a shared GPU code