[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #100: ExternalLibraries/HDF5/HDF5.sh fails to catch a missing library file in user implementation

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Sun Dec 12 21:52:30 CST 2010

#100: ExternalLibraries/HDF5/HDF5.sh fails to catch a missing library file in
user implementation
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  bmundim  |       Owner:
      Type:  defect   |      Status:  closed
 Component:  Cactus   |     Version:
Resolution:  fixed    |    Keywords:  ExternalLibraries HDF5
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

Comment (by bmundim):

 Hi Erik,

 I still think that the hdf5.sh script is flawed. I set HDF5_DIR=BUILD and
 the script
 still finds the Ubuntu implementation and skips building the library. I
 truly think
 that when HDF5_DIR=BUILD is set it should build and link against the ET
 shipped library,
 not the system one (Note that other tools out of Cactus code may need to
 use the system one,
 at least out of convenience since it is installed in a standard
 directory).
 At the end, if I am sure the system library provides support for fortran
 and C++,
 all I need to do is to comment out the ExternalLibraries/HDF5 from the
 thorn list.

 Regarding the HDF5 shipped with Ubuntu: it doesn't provide support for C++
 or fortran.
 So it is important that the BUILD option really builds and links against
 the library shipped with ET.
 This should be the default.

 Anyway, this is my opinion. What do you think?
 Thanks,
 Bruno.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/100#comment:3>