[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #564: McLachlan: Make finite difference order and use of Jacobians selectable at runtime

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Mon Sep 19 10:52:21 CDT 2011

#564: McLachlan: Make finite difference order and use of Jacobians selectable at
runtime
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hinder                 |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  new
 Currently, we generate separate !McLachlan thorns for different finite
 differencing orders and for single-patch and multi-patch.  The attached
 patch makes use of a new feature in Kranc to enable all finite
 differencing orders in all thorns, as well as enabling multi-patch support
 in all thorns.  These features can now be selected in all thorns via run-
 time parameters (fdOrder and jacobian_group).  Each thorn defaults to the
 finite differencing order that it used before.

 This change should be entirely backwards-compatible so users don't need to
 change their parameter files or thornlists immediately.

 Use of any thorn other than ML_BSSN could be deprecated immediately, and
 people should start to transition to using only ML_BSSN.  At some point in
 the future (after the next release), the other thorns will be dropped.  I
 don't want to drop the other thorns immediately, as parameter files would
 have to be changed, and that makes comparing parameter files between runs
 very tedious.

 We need to decide whether we want to keep the _UPW variants.  These cannot
 be used with vectorisation.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/564>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>