[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #572: Change scoping of TmunuBase parameter to allow parameter checking in other thorns

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Wed Sep 21 11:30:39 CDT 2011

#572: Change scoping of TmunuBase parameter to allow parameter checking in other
thorns
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  filga@…           |       Owner:
      Type:  defect            |      Status:  review
 Component:  Other             |     Version:
Resolution:                    |    Keywords:
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------

Comment (by knarf):

 I agree with Erik that an accumulator parameter is probably the best
 choice to let thorns do that. This is actually done, e.g., for GRHydro and
 HydroBase, to enable storage for the hydro_excision_mask in HydroBase when
 GRHydro is active. There, however, users do not have the possibility to
 switch this on/off in HydroBase using a parameter file, which might be
 interesting for the case of the Tmunu mechanism. On the other hand, this
 would be easy to achieve with a second parameter besides the accumulator
 parameter, influencing it.

 In the light of all this, I also agree with Erik that while there is a
 better solution, it would mean to change too much to gain too little. It's
 probably best to go with the first proposed patch and make
 support_old_CalcTmunu_mechanism restricted to at least be able to "yell"
 at people if this is not set according to the needs of other thorns.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/572#comment:6>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>