[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #1004: adding or removing thorns to a thorn list triggers what seems to be a full recompile

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Aug 2 16:44:10 CDT 2012

#1004: adding or removing thorns to a thorn list triggers what seems to be a full
recompile
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  rhaas   |       Owner:
     Type:  defect  |      Status:  new
 this seems to be due to the parameter file structures in
 {{{
 configs/configname/bindings/include/CParameterStructNames.h
 }}}
 being regenerated. At least "make -d" lists them as newer as the C source
 file dependency files. There seems to be only one such file for the whole
 configuration. My unsubstantiated guess is that this is because
 CParameterStructNames.h was one of the files that were excluded from
 dependency tracking prior to #768 (see eg line 182 of
 lib/make/make.config.defn.in in
 https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/attachment/ticket/768/NoThornIs12.patch).

 Classified as minor since it is just extra careful, but try adding thorns
 on kraken to see just how annoying this can be :-)

 I will try and see what happens if I reinstate the dependency exclusions,
 but input of the patch author would be helpful to understand why the
 exclusions were removed (I assume they should no longer be required).

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1004>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>