[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #625: CarpetIOHDF5 sliced output does not output symmetry points unless it also outputs buffer points

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Sun Jun 17 20:33:58 CDT 2012

#625: CarpetIOHDF5 sliced output does not output symmetry points unless it also
outputs buffer points
  Reporter:  hinder  |       Owner:  eschnett
      Type:  defect  |      Status:  reviewed_ok
 Component:  Carpet  |     Version:
Resolution:          |    Keywords:  CarpetIOHDF5

Comment (by rhaas):

 It produces readable output files in at least one case where the old one
 did not. I have not tested how many cases where the old code used to work
 it breaks. The dangerous point seems to me having a cctk_nghostzones
 attribute with 0 value.

 There is no possibility for HDF5 output in test suites as far as I know. A
 possible solution could use the h5diff utility that comes with HDF5. There
 is already some discussion about using HDF5 in test suites in #808 (though
 it is mostly concerned with moving the test suites over to HDF5 to
 possibly save space).

 If out3D_XXX are decprecated then the code should be ok right now, the
 place where I did not use out3d_ghosts was when deciding what value to
 write into the ghostzones attributes.

 The code unfortunately duplicates code in the buffers and no-buffers
 branches of an if statement. This is not nice (and the reason for the
 TODO).

 I had to fix a bug in the no-buffers routine and added a test case (though
 it cannot really be used yet, it passes with 0 of 0 files being
 identical).

 There is likely still room for improvement so I am leaving this ticket
 open.

 Applied as hashes a352f39386df and 1bc87fa7222a of CarpetIOHDF5.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/625#comment:10>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>