[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #641: Parameter files and thornlists could be tested as part of the release process

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Mon May 21 09:08:31 CDT 2012

#641: Parameter files and thornlists could be tested as part of the release
process
  Reporter:  hinder       |       Owner:
      Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
 Component:  Other        |     Version:
Resolution:               |    Keywords:

Comment (by knarf):

 I only find 8 thornlists within an ET checkout:

 arrangements/CactusIO/IOJpeg/par/jpeg.th
 arrangements/CactusIO/IOJpeg/par/jpeg_amr.th
 arrangements/EinsteinEvolve/GRHydro/par/GRHydro.th
 arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/par/test_rad_ref.th
 arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/par/carpet-test.th
 arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/par/test_rad.th
 arrangements/McLachlan/doc/mclachlan-public.th
 arrangements/McLachlan/doc/qc0-mclachlan-public.th

 I don't think it is a problem to include thornlists which include thorns
 outside of the ET. It is perfectly ok to have thorns being part of the ET,
 but also usable and interesting in connections with thorns outside of the
 ET. The same in theory applies to testsuites, but there the issue is size.
 This isn't an issue with a thornlist.

 As for the example parameter files - yes, they should be
  - marked as being important for an ET release (if so)
  - include information on
    - how much memory they need (could we have Carpet give a 'good guess'
 and use that?)
    - categorize them regarding their runtime (giving an exact runtime
 isn't possible or usefull, but
      it would be nice to have something like ({quick, moderate, long}).

 Concerning format, Cactus already has a '!DESC' tag, so following this we
 could use for example:

 {{{
 !DESC Short description
 !TAGS ET_2012_05, ET_2012_11