[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #1101: Test system output format should be extensible and easy to parse programmatically

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Wed Sep 19 13:11:56 CDT 2012

#1101: Test system output format should be extensible and easy to parse
programmatically
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hinder       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
 The Cactus test system currently outputs a human-readable results file.
 It is necessary to write a simple parser for this file (e.g. in Perl or
 Awk) in each application that needs to understand the results.  Because
 the output format is not extensible, it is difficult to add test-specific
 details in a way which does not break exising ad-hoc parsers.  I propose
 that the test system should output its results in XML format in addition
 to the current format.  This format is extensible and parsers exist for
 most languages.

 I started to work on this a while ago, but have not had time to complete
 it.  I attach a work-in-progress patch against revision 4874 of Cactus; I
 don't remember its status. It uses an imported Perl XML writer module
 (included in the patch) which seems to have a suitable licence.  Since
 writing this, I have learned that test systems often write their output in
 a format compatible with the JUnit Java testing framework.  As far as I
 can tell, this is not an officially defined format, but it is understood
 by many test systems (e.g. Jenkins, which I have been using recently).
 The code in the attached patch should be modified to output in this
 format.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1101>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>