[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #1518: Parameter parser and CCTK_ParameterSet interpret leading zeros in numbers differently

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Tue Aug 26 05:24:46 CDT 2014

#1518: Parameter parser and CCTK_ParameterSet interpret leading zeros in numbers
differently
  Reporter:  rhaas   |       Owner:  sbrandt
      Type:  defect  |      Status:  review
 Component:  Cactus  |     Version:  development version
Resolution:          |    Keywords:

Comment (by hinder):

 What "namespace" are the temporaries set in?  Can codes create their own
 space to avoid conflicts with existing temporaries?  Out of caution, I
 would comment out or otherwise disable the setting of temporaries using
 the flesh expression parser in case it causes problems.  It could then be
 enabled if people need the feature and it is worth the risk of confusion.

 This patch introduces a new type "sval", I assume for string valued
 expressions.  Existing code will not check exhaustively for the type of
 the expression.  I doubt this is a problem in practice, as the expression
 parser code is rarely used outside the flesh I think.

 There is a switch statement at the top of the patch which does not have a
 default case.  Please add a fatal error message here.

 Do I understand correctly that you are replacing the Util_Expression*
 flesh API with a different API?  Doesn't this break backward
 compatibility?  Should there be a wrapper introduced?  Then the changes to
 Groups.c and Parameters.c would not be needed.

 I support replacing the expression parser with Piraha, but I don't think
 we should change/eliminate the Util_* expression API.  Did I misunderstand
 what the patch was doing?

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1518#comment:11>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>