[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #1158: ExternalLibraries/HDF5 should change the defaults for HDF5_ENABLE_CXX and HDF5_ENABLE_FORTRAN to "no".

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Wed Oct 8 09:06:33 CDT 2014

#1158: ExternalLibraries/HDF5 should change the defaults for HDF5_ENABLE_CXX and
HDF5_ENABLE_FORTRAN to "no".
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
  Reporter:  knarf                  |       Owner:
      Type:  defect                 |      Status:  confirmed
 Component:  EinsteinToolkit thorn  |     Version:  development version
Resolution:                         |    Keywords:
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Comment (by eschnett):

 We should strive for uniformity in the default option lists. While
 different maintainers have different preferences, we should come to an
 agreement as to how the ET should behave. Us experts can easily tweak
 everything, so this should be geared towards newcomers on the respective
 machines.

 So far, the arguments (relevant for non-experts) are:
 (1) make Fortran thorns that use HDF5 work
 (2) reduce build time

 Both seem important. Both also seems somewhat minor, as (1) does not seem
 to affect too many people, and (2) does not affect correctness. In the
 absence of other arguments, we should weigh these two. So --

 What is the difference in build time on a "regular" laptop, from scratch,
 with optimizations, for a full ET build with and without HDF5, with
 otherwise reasonable options (make -j4 or whatever appropriate)?

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1158#comment:17>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>