[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #241: Thorns should be able to specify implementation versions, and other thorns should be able to depend on those

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Sun Oct 25 06:57:32 CDT 2015

#241: Thorns should be able to specify implementation versions, and other thorns
should be able to depend on those
  Reporter:  knarf        |       Owner:
      Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  review
 Component:  Cactus       |     Version:
Resolution:               |    Keywords:

Comment (by rhaas):

 I am still somewhat unhappy with the non-explicit loop termination that
 always exists the loop through an return in the loop body. I added a
 version that (I personally, others may well differ) find more explicit and
 intuitive (at least the loop termination condition, if one want to have
 just shorter code then one can get rid of four more lines by assigning the
 result of the regex to a list).

 As far as whether I prefer that version numbers should be required to
 start with a numerical or a non-numerical prefix, I'd say "neither should
 be required" ie. both OpenMPI's {{{v2.x-dev-411-gb0ff2a1}}} as well as
 {{{1.8.15-patch1}}} should be supported (and I think CompareVersion
 supports all of these).

 Minor issue: I would rename the CheckVersionStrings procedure to just
 CheckVersions to avoid confusion whether the procedure checks versions of
 capabilities or verifies that a version string is valid.

 Documentation and comments need to be made consistent with what the code
 actually does before this is applied but otherwise I have no objection to
 this. Is there also support for CONFLICTS?

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/241#comment:17>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>