[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #1923: make utils and simfactory ignore HWLOC=BUILD and try to copy hwloc executables from /usr/bin

Einstein Toolkit trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Mon Jun 20 09:45:38 CDT 2016

#1923: make utils and simfactory ignore HWLOC=BUILD and try to copy hwloc
executables from /usr/bin
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  vassilios.mewes@…      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect                 |      Status:  new
 Hello!

 Trying to install the Einstein toolkit on a new machine, we came across
 this seemingly wrong behaviour:

 setting HWLOC=BUILD in the optionlist, the ET is built with the bundled
 hwloc successfully.

 However, upon building the utilities, it gives an error when it tries to
 copy hwloc-ls from /usr/bin to /exe/sim

 The error results from hwloc-ls being a broken symlink in the system, but
 the weird thing is that it actually copies the executables from /usr/bin
 when we have actually built hwloc using the bundled version.

 The same behaviour can also be seen here, where some hwloc executables are
 copied from /usr/bin, while others are copied from the hwloc bundle:

 http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/test/2014-January/000047.html

 Copying hwloc-assembler from
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/configs/sim/scratch/external/hwloc/bin
 /hwloc-assembler> to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying hwloc-assembler-remote from
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/configs/sim/scratch/external/hwloc/bin
 /hwloc-assembler-remote> to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying hwloc-bind from /usr/bin/hwloc-bind to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying hwloc-calc from /usr/bin/hwloc-calc to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying hwloc-distances from
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/configs/sim/scratch/external/hwloc/bin
 /hwloc-distances> to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying hwloc-distrib from /usr/bin/hwloc-distrib to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying hwloc-info from /usr/bin/hwloc-info to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying hwloc-ls from /usr/bin/hwloc-ls to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying hwloc-ps from /usr/bin/hwloc-ps to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying lstopo from /usr/bin/lstopo to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>
 Copying lstopo-no-graphics from
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/configs/sim/scratch/external/hwloc/bin
 /lstopo-no-graphics> to
 <https://build.barrywardell.net/job/EinsteinToolkitReleased/ws/exe/sim>

 Is this wanted? I guess if one specifies HWLOC_DIR=BUILD, it should only
 use hwloc executables from the actual hwloc that comes bundled, right?

 I have attached the optionlist as well as the config-info and a tar of the
 config-data folder for the build.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1923>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>