[ET Trac] [Einstein Toolkit] #2008: NaNs when running static tov on >40 cores

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Feb 23 08:47:34 CST 2017

Regarding OpenMP:

Cactus usually tries to optimize which treads run on which cores. If there
are multiple independent processes running on a node, then Cactus must not
do that, since this will slow down both applications a lot. In particular,
must not set "CACTUS_SET_THREAD_BINDINGS=1" (not setting it or setting it
to 0 is fine).

As Ian mentioned, you can either build without OpenMP support, or choose to
use a single thread at run time, both will work.

At this time, it might be best to post your complete setup, i.e. all the
options and scripts you are using to configure and build and submit and
run, so that others can have a look and cross-check.

Of course, all of this is independent of any nans you encounter. Those are
still due to a bug. I don't think it makes much sense at this point to
debug this -- instead, you will want to run a larger simulations.

-erik