[ET Trac] [Users] #2064: Add GiRaFFE to the Einstein Toolkit

Zach Etienne zachetie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 11:15:46 CST 2019

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry to hear about the frustration. Indeed
BaikalETK is only a proof-of-principle code at the moment, in which the
second stage of development (copying the code blocks in the Jupyter
notebook to a proper, callable, git-friendly Python module) hasn't been
completed yet. I'm hoping that with more resources to combine ETK & NRPy+
development, the full modularization of all the ETK Jupyter notebooks can
be completed.

>  The only way I see is to undo my changes ("git checkout"), and then pull
your changes. In this case that's fine because there are no major changes,
but if I had made changes I'd be in trouble.

I generally do a `git diff` if `git pull` complains about conflicts, and
it's usually easy to see if anything significant has changed (and then do
`git checkout` if not). Maybe if I chose a standard way of prefixing lines
that are ignorable comments (e.g., "COMMENT: Finished BSSN symbolic
expressions in") a simple script could be written that checks for trivial
differences like these. Removing all output isn't a good idea as it would
wipe away the "standard" output displayed on nbviewer (
https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/zachetienne/nrpytutorial/blob/master/NRPyPlus_Tutorial.ipynb)
in case the user wants only to learn from the Jupyter documentation.

Also if in doubt, one can simply compare the thorn output from the master
Jupyter notebook with your own version. We're making it easier to redirect
all NRPy+ output to whatever directory you like, so that such diffs can be
made quickly and easily.

-Zach

Prof. Zachariah Etienne
Physics & Astronomy Dept.