[ET Trac] #2554: init_3_timelevels produces nans on past timelevels of the initial slice

Yosef Zlochower trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Wed Aug 11 12:42:09 CDT 2021

#2554: init_3_timelevels produces nans on past timelevels of the initial slice

 Reporter: Yosef Zlochower
Component: Carpet

I have been running into an issue where I when I interpolate an evolved function I get nans even though there are no nans on the gridfunction itself. The nans appear to arise when the past timelevels \(at iteration 0\) are initialized by init\_3\_timelevels and occur near the buffer regions. As the evolution proceeds, these bad past timelevels are overwritten with seemingly good data.

The attached thorn demonstrates the issue by evolving the trivial system

dt\_f = 1

In visit you can see nans on the ā€œ\_p\_pā€ timelevel at iteration 1 \(not iteration 0??\). The nans go away later in the evolution.

Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2554/init_3_timelevels-produces-nans-on-past