[ET Trac] #2553: Cactus' link command uses CPPFLAGS and CXXFLAGS

Roland Haas trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Aug 12 08:20:35 CDT 2021

#2553: Cactus' link command uses CPPFLAGS and CXXFLAGS

 Reporter: Roland Haas
Component: Cactus

Comment (by Roland Haas):

That one also worked for me, and is what I used at first. However it fails to compile the ExternalLibraries. I am not 100% sure why but two issues seem to be that CMake really does not like $CXX to be more than one word and then that “-x cu” seems to also interpreset \*.o files as source files ocompile, which of course leas to failures.

I also have to add `-DSIMD_CPU` to avoid issues in Arith where I otherwise get an error that the return value of a constexpr function must be of integral type \(this is with gcc 10.1 as the host complier so sufficiently modern\).

This work is part of an effort is to avoid having to do any of this and be able to use a more regular Cactus build setup where one can use the ExternalLibraries to automatically build the required libraries which should help reduce the amount of build failures when one starts with CarpetX.

I will attach a thornlist once I have tested things once or twice on my latpop \(with and without GPU\) and on some cluster.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2553/cactus-link-command-uses-cppflags-and