[ET Trac] #2413: Include "POWER" code to extrapolate waveforms to scri+ into ET

Roland Haas trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu May 6 09:58:00 CDT 2021

#2413: Include "POWER" code to extrapolate waveforms to scri+ into ET

 Reporter: Roland Haas
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn

Comment (by Roland Haas):

Right now using `FROM_TWOPUNCTURES` serves the purpose that is being suggested for `f0 = None` \(`FROM_TWOPUNCTURES` is just a string and I only use the variable name to try and avoid typos as much as possible given that Python is fully dynamically typed and requires no variable declarations at all\). I would rather not use `None` for this since there is only one `None` and one can get the total mass also in other ways which is easy to do by having another `FROM_XXX` but not if `None` is already taken.

You can use `power.py` as a Python module `import power` then call the Python functions directly. This means you have to write Python code rather than shell code.

I have code around somewhere that would parse the header and then picks the correct column. That should be easy to incorporate.

My first guesses for bad POWER output would be:

* make sure your psi4 starts and ends at 0 amplitude
* make you may have to change the list of detectors being used, using detectors too far out or in can give bad results
* TODO: probably there should be options to control the order of the polynomials that are being fit to the data

‌

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2413/include-power-code-to-extrapolate