[ET Trac] #2538: Inclusion of kuibit

Gabriele Bozzola trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Nov 4 18:33:08 CDT 2021

#2538: Inclusion of kuibit

 Reporter: Gabriele Bozzola
Component:

Comment (by Gabriele Bozzola):

> @Gabriele Bozzola
>
>  for inclusion in in the ET, at least one of the ET maintainers \([http://einsteintoolkit.org/maintainers-credits.html](http://einsteintoolkit.org/maintainers-credits.html)\) should have write permission to the repository. Is that already the case? In this case
>
> @Steven R. Brandt
>
>  may be the best person to give access to since he is release mananger ie will have to create tags or ensure that they have been created otherwise.

You are Steven were invited to join the GitHub repo.

> Current version may not build if user hasn’t separately installed hdf5 build environment \(h5py usually can install without this\).

This comes from the fact that `kuibit` requires `h5py < 3` at the moment. I am trying to relax this assumption, but the dependency solver goes crazy. I will have to fiddle around to find a way out of this. In case, I will push a version 1.3.1 to fix this.

> Can we add examples showing how to make 2D figures like BNS movie in gallery?

I can help those that are running the gallery examples to make visualizations with `kuibit`. For example, you should be able to make the 2D movie we have in the gallery with `kuibit` without writing any single line of code:

`mopi -m examples/mopi_movies/grid_var --resolution 500 --plane xy --variable rho_b --colorbar --datadir simulation --interpolation-method bicubic --logscale --vmin -7 --vmax -1 --parallel --outdir movie -x0 -30 -30 -x1 30 30`

> I added kubit’s source code as well just so that is there \(and in case users already have the prereqs installed eg on their laptops\) but my recollection was that either:

Correct, it is not trivial to install kuibit directly from the repo \(one needs \`poetry\`, and even then, it is still not simple\). The best way is with pip. This also simplifies upgrading `kuibit`.

Hence, we should provide instructions to download `kuibit` with pip and a link to the documentation relative to the version.

> For the new user notebook we can provide a list of OS package manager packages to install to be able to use kuibit from the copy in the ET.

Unless I fail to work around the h5py problem, I think and hope that no extra package should be required, unless one wants to do 3D rendering with `mayavi`.

‌

I can also give a tutorial on `kuibit` at some point.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2538/inclusion-of-kuibit