[ET Trac] #2571: runtime failure due to useing character*8 in DECLARE_CCTK_ARGUMENTS_CHECKED macro

Roland Haas trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Oct 21 09:03:56 CDT 2021

#2571: runtime failure due to useing character*8 in DECLARE_CCTK_ARGUMENTS_CHECKED macro

 Reporter: Roland Haas
Component: Cactus

Comment (by Roland Haas):

Changing from `charater*8` to `logical*8` may not be  not be enough to avoid assignment. The intel compiler \(ifort \(IFORT\) 18.0.3 20180410\) compiles this without warning:

```fortran
program foo
  implicit none

  logical*8 :: bar
  integer*4 :: baz

  bar = baz

end program
```

On the other hand we are not worried about assignment to the pointer itself. We want to fails is things like: `bar(1,2,3)` for reading and writing and passing `bar` to a subroutine \(which we likely cannot prevent no matter what\).

So it should be enough for our purposes.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2571/runtime-failure-due-to-useing-character-8