[ET Trac] #2627: Tmunu inherits from ADMBase and StaticConformal without using them

Roland Haas trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Aug 4 17:22:00 CDT 2022

#2627: Tmunu inherits from ADMBase and StaticConformal without using them

 Reporter: Gabriele Bozzola
Component:

Comment (by Roland Haas):

Historic leftover and backwards compatible thing I would say.

The old Tmunu mechanism \(using the FRIEND mechanism\) had a routine `TmunuBase_SetTmunu` that used `ADMCoupling`'s `STRESSENERGY_guts.h` macros, which may have conceivably used `ADMBase` variables \(at least that is my only guess\). Or it may have been superfluous when the thorn was first created in 2009. The old Tmunu code was removed in git hash [5a412c0](https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/einsteinbase/commits/5a412c04f4799f3add72194332f3b3d8236487bf) "TmunuBase: remove deprecated support for old CalcTmunu mechanism" of [einsteinbase](https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/einsteinbase).

Right now removing it may be dicey since inheritance is transitive, that is thorns inheriting from `TmunuBase` get access to all the grid functions that `TmunuBase` inherited. There is bound to be a thorn out there that _only_ inherits from `TmunuBase` but still accesses `ADMBase` variables \(valid code in fact\).

This is probably a good candidate for a deprecated features announcement. While I doubt there are Tmunu using thorns that do not also use `ADMBase` there is a case to be made for no longer requiring `StaticConformal` in particular since support for conformaly related metrics is essentially non-existent in current codes.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2627/tmunu-inherits-from-admbase-and