[ET Trac] #2595: Modern Intel compilers struggle to compile McLachlan resulting in extremely long build times

Gabriele Bozzola trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Feb 10 10:52:59 CST 2022

#2595: Modern Intel compilers struggle to compile McLachlan resulting in extremely long build times

 Reporter: Gabriele Bozzola
Component:

As mentioned in ET Call on 09/02/22.

I am compiling a subset of the latest release of the Einstein Toolkit with one of latest version available of Intel oneAPI \(2021.5\). I am attaching thornlist and optionfile.

I see warnings like this:

```
/home/sbozzolo/storage/codes/einstein_toolkit/Cactus/configs/sim/build/ML_BSSN/ML_BSSN_EvolutionInteriorSplitBy2.cc(49): warning #16219: Some OpenMP processing was skipped to constrain compile time. Consider overriding limits (-qoverride-limits).
```

which essentially informs me that the compiler cannot optimize the code within a time frame that is heuristically determined.

As a result, compilation takes a very long time \(several tens of minutes\). I have seen this on other supercomputers with compilers from 2019.

‌

\(I don’t seem able to attach two files, so I am attaching only the option list. \)

Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2595/modern-intel-compilers-struggle-to-compile