[ET Trac] #2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns

Samuel Cupp trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Mon Aug 7 15:10:46 CDT 2023

#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns

 Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn

The General Relativistic Hydrodynamics Library \(GRHayL\) provides core functionality for IllinoisGRMHD-like codes in an infrastructure-agnostic form. The _GRHayLib_ thorn sets up the core library in the Cactus Framework. Included in this update is the change to _IllinoisGRMHD_ to use this new library, which also includes many improvements, simplifications, and other enhancements. Additionally, we provide the _GRHayLHD_ thorn for purely hydrodynamic simulations which has noticeable speed improvements over the MHD code. For CarpetX, we provide _IllinoisGRMHDX_ and _GRHayLHDX_.

To help with testing and future work, we also provide _GRHayLID_ and _GRHayLIDX_, which set up simple MHD data for _HydroBase_ \(e.g. the Balsara tests\). Note that since _GRHayLib_ only provides the library, one can use _GRHayLib_/_GRHayLID_ to set up initial data and then use an _EOS\_Omni_- or _EOSX_-based evolution thorn with no issues.

Part of the simplifications to _IllinoisGRMHD_ make the _ID\_converter\_ILGRMHD_ and _Convert\_to\_HydroBase_ thorns obsolete, and they are deprecated in this release. Special deprecation code is scheduled to ensure the core behavior is maintained till the next release cycle which checks the parameters of these auxiliary thorns.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grhayl-library-and-associated