[ET Trac] #2696: Update kuibit to 1.4.0

Roland Haas trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Wed Feb 15 18:23:28 CST 2023

#2696: Update kuibit to 1.4.0

 Reporter: Gabriele Bozzola
Component:

Comment (by Roland Haas):

Having been poked to comment. Here’s my comment:

Oh right, it still says "new version of kuibit". In the call Gabriele
suggested to use the old version either in the ET in general \(not so
great\) or add a warning for the affected machines \(somewhat better\).

If I recall correctly then what will happen is that if one does say:

```
pip install kuibit==1.4.0
```

on a system without Python 3.8 loaded \(not present, loaded\) then pip
will report that not suitable kuibit is found. Eg on Stampede2 right
now:

```
$ module load python3
Lmod is automatically replacing "python2/2.7.15" with "python3/3.7.0".
$ pip install kuibit==1.4.0
Collecting kuibit==1.4.0
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement kuibit==1.4.0 (from versions: 1.0.0b0, 1.0.0, 1.1.0, 1.1.1, 1.2.0b0, 1.2.0, 1.2.1, 1.3.0, 1.3.1, 1.3.2, 1.3.3, 1.3.4, 1.3.5, 1.3.6)
No matching distribution found for kuibit==1.4.0
```

while leaving out the version number will pick the newest available
version.

A workaround for the same command to work on all clusters is actually
to use:

```
$ pip install --upgrade 'kuibit<=1.4.0'
```

which will pick the newest version possible \(and update if possible\).
This is better than

```
$ pip install --upgrade 'kuibit'
```

since it avoids going to a newer version that may be released on
PyPi after the a ET release.

Let me add this as a discussion item, though really \(my personal opinion\) the _authors_ should spend time on coming up with solutions. Part of having things
included in the ET means that they must make some effort in keeping things working with the ET. If they want to do whatever they want then having it in a toolkit used by many and with a statement of supported clusters then they should not include it. "it works for me" is not good enough anymore, it has to work for others.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2696/update-kuibit-to-140