[ET Trac] #2736: consider using git+https together with a branch name or kuibit install

Gabriele Bozzola trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Fri Jun 2 10:49:19 CDT 2023

#2736: consider using git+https together with a branch name or kuibit install

 Reporter: Roland Haas
Component: Other

Comment (by Gabriele Bozzola):

I can see another drawback to this. When you install kuibit with `pip install kuibit`, you are served the wheels from PyPI. These are very small files \(460 kB\) and are supposed to work immediately on all the supported architectures/versions.

When you install kuibit from git, you have to download the entire repo \(along with the tests, some data files, and so on, and the entire git history\), which can be 100s of MBs - 1 GB. Moreover, you have to recompile the package locally. This should not be a problem for 99 % of the cases, but I would not be surprised if there were incompatibilities in some cases.

So, as developer, I would prefer sticking with PyPI for the slightly better user experience, but I do not feel strongly about this.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2736/consider-using-git-https-together-with-a