[ET Trac] #2723: No boundary conditions registered for variables in group LEANBSSNMOL

Samuel Cupp trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Jun 8 18:56:43 CDT 2023

#2723: No boundary conditions registered for variables in group LEANBSSNMOL

 Reporter: Vikram Manikantan
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn

Comment (by Samuel Cupp):

Looking more closely at the thorn, I feel its important to point out that it doesn’t have any READ or WRITE declarations. This means that no one has updated it to use the PreSync features. So even if you resolve the boundary warnings, it won’t really benefit you because the READ/WRITE declarations aren’t there yet. I’m sure the maintainers of Lean would be appreciative if you added them. However, if you don’t have the time to add those to the schedule.ccl, then none of the `presync_mode` settings can actually be used.

I do think I have found the source of the issue, though. The issue is that the PreSync feature isn’t being informed of what the BCs are. The old boundary thorn uses `Boundary_SelectGroupForBC` to control how BCs are applied, while PreSync depends on the driver function `Driver_SelectGroupForBC`. At some point, I had suggested that this call be added to the `Boundary_SelectGroupForBC` as well for the sake of old thorns, but that doesn’t seem to have happened.

I did a pretty ugly edit real quick by duplicating the boundary f’n calls with driver calls. This runs until it hits an error because PreSync tries to apply boundary conditions on something that isn’t valid in the interior \(and nothing is valid anywhere because of paragraph 1\).

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2723/no-boundary-conditions-registered-for