[ET Trac] #2735: EinsteinBase: storage declaration simplification

Roland Haas trac-noreply at einsteintoolkit.org
Thu Jun 15 07:55:33 CDT 2023

#2735: EinsteinBase: storage declaration simplification

 Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn

Comment (by Roland Haas):

Well. It’s historic \(not surprisingly\). Being able to use variables in the storage statement is newer than ADMBase is, and I am not sure if

```
STORAGE: lapse[0]
```

would have been acceptable \(since one could just leave out the statemetnt altogether without loss if only constants are allowed anyway\).

I think there are parameter files out there that want storage for lapse but not for dtlapse \(eg lapse for output only and dtlapse is not desired\). If storage was enabled for dtshift then this will consume more memory \(probably not too bad\) and also \(more importantly\) subjuect dtshift to poisoning, and consistency checks by presync which may \(if sufficiently aggressive options are chosen\) make the code stop.

So the ugly way of disabling storage by setting “initial\_shift” to “none” probably has to stay.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2735/einsteinbase-storage-declaration