[Users] Tmunu in HydroBase

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Aug 4 06:28:48 CDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Frank Loeffler <knarf at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So far HydroBase only defines the typical primitive hydro variables (and
> more), but it doesn't use them to set Tmunu. This is currently done in
> GRHydro. Now, setting Tmunu only requires the primitive variables, so it
> could go into HydroBase (with a parameter to turn it off).
>
> One application of this would be that it would be possible to have
> parameter files only calculating initial data, but also (correctly)
> calculating their constraints, without an active evolution thorn.
>
> On the 'downside' this would introduce a dependency of HydroBase on
> TmunuBase, even with a parameter to turn it off. I don't think anyone
> would not use HydroBase without TmunuBase in the foreseeable future
> though.
>
> What are the opinions about the proposal to move setting Tmunu from
> GRHydro to HydroBase?

I think this is a splendid idea.  HydroBase must anyway have
sufficient information to determine the complete state vector
(otherwise one couldn't initialise GRHydro from it), and thus moving
the Tmunu calculation to HydroBase will simplify our codes.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/