[Users] kranc checkout, GetComponents and GitHub repository

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jun 3 21:44:46 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 09:58:26PM -0400, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
> The git version currently maintained by CentOS 5 (the distro I use)
> is 1.5.5.6.

Wow, and I thought Debian is old.

> I am not sure yet if it is worth the hassle of installing and
> maintaining a newer version different from the distro one.

The following two commands should install a newer git on CentOS5,
according to http://www.webtatic.com/blog/2009/09/git-on-centos-5/:

  rpm -ivh http://repo.webtatic.com/yum/centos/5/`uname \
    -i`/webtatic-release-5-0.noarch.rpm

  yum install --enablerepo=webtatic git-all

> Also, what if
> I really want to look at the long history of the project development?

In that case you can still clone it without --depth 1, by hand though.

> What about adding an option to GetComponents to let the user choose the
> depth value (or avoid using it at all)? depth 1 could still be left as
> a default though.

--depth 1 is only used for anonymous clones, so that most developers do
get a full clone. I don't think there would be a problem with adding
that option to GetComponents though.

Disregarding all that: please try using git:// and not http:// for the
Kranc clone (but with --depth 1). If I am not mistaken that problem
might go away with git as protocol. If so, we should probably change that
in the ET thornlist.

Frank