[Users] kranc checkout, GetComponents and GitHub repository

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jun 3 21:53:31 CDT 2010

On Jun 3, 2010, at 19:20 , Frank Loeffler wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:09:34PM -0400, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
>> The option --depth 1 is not accepted by GitHub. I was able to clone
>> it
>> without a problem otherwise. Do we really need this option in
>> GetComponents?
>
> Your installation of git seems to be too old. Can you please try to
> update it? It would be nice to keep that option because it can speed
> up
> cloning quite a bit.

GetComponents is a very central tool; it should be as conservative as
possible.  Performance is only secondary.  For example, instead of

	git --depth 1 ARGS

we could use

	git --depth 1 ARGS || git ARGS

which would automatically retry if the first git fails.  Of course,
this would be more elegantly handled by perl code instead of shell code.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/