[Users] path expansion in git/darcs/hg repositories

Eric Seidel eric at eseidel.org
Mon Jun 7 15:31:17 CDT 2010

I think it would be best to add support for a case like this

>> !TARGET   = $ARR
>> !TYPE     = git
>> !URL      = git://someurl/PersonalCode
>> !AUTH_URL = rhaas3 at someotherurl/PersonalCode
>> !REPO_PATH= Cactus/Hydro/$1/experimental/$2
>> !CHECKOUT =
>> Scotch/SoundSpeed

This would really mean treating REPO_PATH like an actual path instead of just a symbol to replace with something else from CHECKOUT. It might not even require modification to the current ET thornlist.

> I don't think we can rely on the special directory name ".git" to
> separate repositories from paths within repositories.  cvs and svn are
> exceptions here, because subdirectories of repositories look again
> like repositories to the outside.

Agreed. It would also not be very user-friendly to rely on hidden directories..

> On the other hand, introducing REPO_PATH for cvs and svn repositories
> would be possible, and would allow people to check out the whole svn
> repository into a top-level "svn-repos", and then point to parts of
> it.  However, this is neither important nor urgent at the moment.

I don't really think this matters, unless there's a situation where someone would need to checkout a single file from an svn repo, since you can easily checkout whichever directories you want using svn, and add more to the thornlist later if necessary. Sorry for the run-on sentence there...

Eric