[Users] GetComponents and git-repos

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Jun 11 16:49:19 CDT 2010

On Jun 11, 2010, at 16:45 , Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:

> Erik Schnetter wrote:

>>> This sounds as a good idea as well. However there should be some
>>> sort of
>>> label or GetComponents directives to distinguish between these
>>> repositories. For example, while carpet and krank wouldn't fit in
>>> the
>>> usual arrangement/thorn organization, McLachlan would.
>> Indeed!  I didn't spot this.
>> -erik
> What about a directive such as !REPO_TREE to indicate the kind of
> tree the repository has? It would default to "arrangement", but
> could also have an "other" value in order to checkout its components
> into "repos"
> instead of "arrangements".

It is not possible to check out only parts of a git or hg repository;
this is different from svn or cvs.  Since GetComponents checks out
individual thorns, this means it has to check out the complete
repository in a different location and then set up symbolic links.
This is actually no different for McLachlan if someone does not want
all the McLachlan thorns.

REPO_TREE doesn't seem necessary; whether the repository contains
arrangements or thorns is already described by the REPO_PATH
variable.  If REPO_PATH is $2, then the repository contains thorns,
and the repository name can be used as arrangement name.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/