[Users] McLachlan test suite

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Jun 14 11:07:24 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I have written some test cases for the McLachlan evolution code.  This
thorn is currently used in other test suites, but it doesn't have one
of its own.  The minimal test I have written is a 3D diagonal gauge
wave in unigrid with periodic boundary conditions run for one crossing
time, so mostly it tests that the RHSs are correct.  There are two
resolutions (15^3 and 30^3) as well as the exact solution as computed
by Exact, so from the test suite output you can compute convergence to
test that everything is correct (the automatic regression testsuite
mechanism does not do this though).  I attach the parameter files for
comments.  I have tested 4th order convergence to the exact solution.

I have enabled 3D HDF5 output in the test suite in anticipation that
we might want to have HDF5 comparisons added at some point, and so
that when investigating failures there is full information available.
The output is from the initial data and the last iteration only, with
full compression.

The test output sizes are:

n = 15		2.9 M
n = 30		7.9 M
Exact		100 kB

Total: 11 M

For the exact solution I only output 3D of the admbase gxx and kxx
variables.  If this is considered too large, we can omit the 3D HDF5
output for now, as it is not used in the current Cactus testsuite
mechanism.

I have put the test suites in the existing ML_BSSN_Helper thorn, as
this seemed the easiest solution, since ML_BSSN is automatically
generated.

The test does not test the shift terms.  For that I would use the
shifted gauge wave solution, but as far as I know the harmonic shift
gauge condition is not implemented in McLachlan.

The tests are run on 2 processes as CarpetIOASCII output is used, so
the output depends on the number of processes.  If output on 1 process
is better, let me know.  In principle, the number of OpenMP threads
should not matter in this case.  However, the tests seem to fail if I
use OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 (or leave it unset on my dual-core laptop, which
makes it use 2).  The failure is:

  Issuing mpirun -np 2 /Users/ian/Cactus/llama/exe/cactus_mcl /Users/
ian/Cactus/llama/arrangements/McLachlan/ML_BSSN_Helper/test/
gw3d_Exact_ord4_15.par

   alp.norm1.asc: differences below tolerance on 1 lines
   alp.norm2.asc: differences below tolerance on 1 lines
   alp.sum.asc: substantial differences
      significant differences on 1 (out of 2) lines
      maximum absolute difference in column 3 is 1.00044417195022e-11
      maximum relative difference in column 3 is 2.96613722781153e-15

  Failure: 12 files compared, 3 differ, 1 differ significantly

  Files which differ strongly:
    [1] alp.sum.asc

I don't know why this fails.

ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de