[Users] Checking out branches with GetComponents

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Jun 15 09:09:24 CDT 2010

On Jun 15, 2010, at 4:54 , Ian Hinder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it currently possible to specify which branch to check out with
> GetComponents?  For the release, we are planning on making a new
> branch in each repository which will be the "release branch", called
> ET_2010_06.  For each type of repository (SVN, CVS, git) the
> einsteintoolkit.th thorn list will be updated to check out this
> branch.  Is this possible?

Darcs does not support branches.  Mercurial does, but they are a
somewhat unusual feature; instead, people use a different repository
(as far as I can tell).

> It seems that git clone has a "-b" option to specify which branch to
> check out after the repository is cloned, but this doesn't seem to
> exist in anything but the latest versions of git (for example, it
> exists in 1.7.1 but not in 1.6.1).  So a separate "git checkout"
> command will have to be run by GetComponents.

We also need to collect on the wiki the commands that we need to
execute to create these branches in the first place.  It's not trivial
for git.

Do you have experience with branches in git?  Is it easier to use
branches, or to have separate repositories and push/pull changes in
between?

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/