[Users] Checking out branches with GetComponents

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jun 15 11:28:41 CDT 2010

On 15 Jun 2010, at 17:53, Frank Loeffler wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 09:09:24AM -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
>> Do you have experience with branches in git?  Is it easier to use
>> branches, or to have separate repositories and push/pull changes in
>> between?
>
> If branches in git are such a headache with extra command line
> arguments
> and whatnot - what speaks against using two separate repositories?
> Exchanging patches between repositories is always sold as one of the
> strong points of a system like git.

To summarise (I just talked with Barry about this):

	git push origin origin:refs/heads/ET_2010_06

This creates the branch in the remote repository.

Any user can then do

	git clone <path to repo>
	git checkout -b ET_2010_06 origin/ET_2010_06

I agree that this is a little bit more typing than if you could do git
clone <path to repo>/branchname, but I think it makes more logical
sense to have everything in the same repository.  After all, most of
the content is shared between the branches.

ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de