[Users] still cannot update CVS repositories from outside LSU

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Tue May 18 08:46:33 CDT 2010

Dear Sir or Madam,

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:55:06AM -0400, Roland Haas wrote:
>> I am still unable to *update* CVS repositories from outside LSU (works
>> from is.cct.lsu.edu).
>
> Can you please get in contact with ccthelpdesk at lsu.edu to resolve this?
> I have spoken with them about this, but couldn't show anything because
> it worked for me.
>
> thanks, Frank

I am having trouble *updating* cvs repositories hosted at
asylum.cct.lsu.edu from outside of the LSU network. The initial checkout
works fine and if I log into say is.cct.lsu.edu I can also update. These
are the steps that allow me to reproduce the problem:

[rhaas3 at phys44230 tmp]$ cvs -d:pserver:cvs_anon at cvs.cct.lsu.edu/numrel login
<Enter: anon as password>
[rhaas3 at phys44230 tmp]$ cvs -d:pserver:cvs_anon at cvs.cct.lsu.edu/numrel
co LSUThorns/QuasiLocalMeasures
[rhaas3 at phys44230 tmp]$ cd LSUThorns/QuasiLocalMeasures/
[rhaas3 at phys44230 QuasiLocalMeasures]$ cvs update
... stalls ...

With 'strace cvs update' I get as one of the last few lines:

mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0)
= 0x2b773e4c6000
lseek(4, 0, SEEK_CUR)                   = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)
write(3, "BEGIN AUTH REQUEST\n/numrel\ncvs_a"..., 59) = 59

cvs [update aborted]: received termination signal

where the termination signal is I pressing CTRL-C. This happens on both
my workstation (Gergia Tech) and on TACC Ranger but not from is.cct.lsu.edu.

I also see:

[rhaas3 at phys44230 m]$ netstat --tcp -p | grep cvs
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
  will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
tcp        0     59 phys44230.physics.gat:47852
asylum.cct.lsu.e:cvspserver ESTABLISHED 9837/cvs

The CVS version at GT is 1.11.22 on Ranger 1.11.17 and on is.cct.lsu.edu
1.11.22. This is rather baffling.