[Users] GetComponents Patch

Eric Seidel eric at eseidel.org
Wed Nov 3 12:47:38 CDT 2010

> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 01:19:41PM -0400, Eric Seidel wrote:
>> I have a patch for GetComponents that I would like to apply to the svn trunk. It address the following trac tickets:
>> #75	Checkout/update timestamp
>> #61	make COMPONENTLIST_TARGET 'stable'
>> #76	GetComponents should not create links if repository cannot be checked out
>
> Are any of those patches so small that it is more or less obvious that
> they don't introduce new problems on some random machine?

I would be surprised if any of those patches caused a new problem. The only one that actually affects the
checkout/update behavior is #76, which only tells perl to move to the next component immediately after getting
an error from "git/hg/darcs clone".

> If not, it would be nice to wait with those changes until the new
> version (which currently is being tested) is released. None of those
> tickets seem to be a real blocker for the release.
>
>> Ian mentioned that he thought the logs should be placed inside the checked out source tree, while
>> GetComponents currently places them in $HOME/.crl/crl.log. I personally like the central location for logs,
>> but I would be open to changing the location of the log files if others agree with Ian.
>
> I agree with Ian that the source tree would be a more 'natural' place
> for those logs, at least in my way of thinking.

Ok I can change it to place the logs in the source tree. Would you prefer they remain hidden, or should I store
them as something like "GetComponents.log"?

Eric