[Users] Meeting Reminder / Release

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Sun Nov 21 21:46:49 CST 2010

Hi,

First of all, this is a reminder of tomorrows meeting, Monday November
22nd, 10am central USA time. Instructions can, as always, be found here:

http://einsteintoolkit.org/info/support/

The main topic will be the release. The current state is described
below. Other than that we should (after the release) try to get all
those waiting patches applied, but with as less pain as possible.
It would especially be nice to summarize and review the changes in
the GRHydro branch before merging. Also, EOS_Omni should, again after
review, be included in the development ET version. This especially will
need some testsuite magic, when the older EOS interfaces will be
removed.

Before all that can happen however, there is the still pending release.
The current state can be seen on our wiki page:

http://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Release_Details

In case this is not clear to everyone: we are in 'deep freeze'. Nothing
at all should be changed without agreement by either Erik Schnetter or
me, with the exception of the few development branches.

We didn't manage to fix the two main outstanding testsuite issues, but
as far as I can tell we managed to convince ourselves that they are not
serious enough to further hold up this release. At the same time I would
like to make both (GRHydro/ppm and AHFinderDirect/Interpolator) blocker
for the next release. Either we fix the testsuites, or the code. We
should not release yet another time with both problems. Opinions?

The release branches have been created, and the corresponding thornlist
was adapted and tested. The release texts are written (see links on
wiki), and the citation list is done (please everyone have a look and
comment, we should not forget something here):

http://einsteintoolkit.org/info/citing/

I don't see something holding up the release, and would like to use the
phone call for the last and final 'go' from everyone.

What still needs to be done:

- check documentation once again - especially links containing the ET
  version: they should be updated to the new version
  -> ET web page, tutorials, wiki
- send the release announcement (texts are already on the wiki)
  -> users at einsteintoolkit.org, {news|users}@cactuscode.org,
     Kristen Sunde <ksunde at cct.lsu.edu> for AllCCT,
     http://hyperspace.aei.mpg.de/, http://astro-sim.org/
     News-item on the cactuscode.org web page
     anything else?
- anything else?

However, I will personally not be able to make the call this week. Erik
Schnetter will chair the call instead.

Frank Loeffler