[Users] Meeting minutes

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Sat Oct 2 08:28:15 CDT 2010

Meeting minutes:

Present were: Tanja, ROland ,Frank, Gabrielle, Scoot, Joshua, Yosef,
Eloisa, Erik, Bruno

Carpet workshop recap:

* refluxing is implemented (for multiple processors) but needs more
testing in production sized runs
** it requires Carpet support as well as an external refluxing thorn
** refluxing adds constraints to how the grid is laid out that have to
be enforced by the regridding thorn
** CarpetRegrid2 adheres to these constraints
** it now works on multiple processors
* MHD is largely implemented, implemented are HLL, Con2Prim, Prim2COn,
PPM, still needed is Con2Prim_Polytype. It passes simple shocktube tests
but requires more testing.
* the unused grid points mask is implemented but it turns out it is only
non-empty if the grids are very large
* we know what to do to support higher numbers of refinement levels, but
implementing it requires carefully going through the code
* the code to not output 3d buffer zones is written but not well tested,
it will be committed to the Mercurial version
* I/O
** Nirvana (N5) library has been written and provides a high level
interface to I/O similar to Werner Bengers F5 format
** ADIOS 2.0 has been made public, and now supports AMR, so it might be
a useful backend for N5
** Christian Reiswig has added code to create subdirectories for the
output files to avoid having tens of thousands of files in a single
directory
* Ian Hinder has written a timer class and a Mathematica notebook to
visualize the output of the class

Citation policy:

* thorn authors are free to specify which citations they would like to
see, the Toolkit does not mandate any particular requirements (or lack of)
* files listing both the compulsory and recommended citations will be
part of the Einstein Toolkit checkout (possibly auto-generated form the
thorn sources)

We will have a presentation on simfactory during the next (or soon
after) phone conference.