[Users] simulationfactory issue?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Sat Oct 16 14:48:51 CDT 2010

Richard

A cactus configuration is defined by its thorn list, i.e. by the set
of thorns which it includes. You can compile more thorns into a
configuration than you activate at run time. I usually have a single,
large configuration containing many thorns, and activate a few of them
at run time. I use the default name "sim" for this configuration.

(I also have a variant sim-debug with debugging enabled, which runs at
reduced speeds, but contains more run-time checks to catch coding
errors.)

Others prefer to have smaller configurations, and create a new
configuration for each project or simulation. I can see that this is a
good idea, since re-building my large configuration from scratch can
take some time.

No, there is no consistency between configurations on different
machines. We enforce consistency between source trees, but not
configuration. However, I think this is a good idea. We could e.g.
derive the configuration name from the thorn list, and replicate thorn
lists to remote systems -- this would (in a way) ensure consistency.
Of course, you then still need to ensure that a configuration is
re-built whenever the thorn list or the source tree changes, which we
don't do yet automatically.

We don't have submit scripts for Condor's Parallel Universe. Can you
give us a pointer to details of this system?

-erik