[Users] Remove default variable guess from Multipole

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Fri Sep 10 14:00:31 CDT 2010

On 10 Sep 2010, at 20:49, Roland Haas wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>>> When the Multipole thorn was first written at Penn State for
>>> debugging, we
>>> were using it with WeylScal4 and to avoid incompatibilities with
>>> early
>>> parameter files, when the "variables" parameter was added we
>>> decided that if
>>> it was left blank, it would default to the WeylScal4 Psi4
>>> variable.  This is
>>> not a good logical default, as the thorn provides generic mode
>>> decomposition.  I would like to remove this, and the patch is
>>> attached.  OK
>>> to commit?
> Would it be possible to make the default for the parameter
> "variables" to be "WeylScal4::Psi4r{sw=-2 cmplx='WeylScal4::Psi4i'
> name='psi4'}"?
> I would expect that for most (vacuum) runs done with the code in the
> Einstein Toolkit one would decompose Psi4 so this default would make
> sense. Also it would keep the thorn backwards compatible :-)

Sorry - I only saw this message after committing the patch.  What you
are asking for, as far as I can tell, is the behaviour that was
implemented.  It has been printing the following warning for 3 years:

WARNING: No Multipole::variables string has been specified.  For
compatibility, the current default is to use \"WeylScal4::Psi4r{sw=-2
cmplx=\'WeylScal4::Psi4i\' name=\'psi4\'}\" but in future, this
default will change to \"\".  Please update your parameter files to
include this new parameter.

so I think you have had enough time to update parameter files :)

ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de