[Users] Remove default variable guess from Multipole

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Sat Sep 11 06:52:08 CDT 2010

On 10 Sep 2010, at 21:49, Erik Schnetter wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 10 Sep 2010, at 20:49, Roland Haas wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,

>>> Would it be possible to make the default for the parameter
>>> "variables" to be "WeylScal4::Psi4r{sw=-2 cmplx='WeylScal4::Psi4i'
>>> name='psi4'}"?
>>> I would expect that for most (vacuum) runs done with the code in the
>>> Einstein Toolkit one would decompose Psi4 so this default would make
>>> sense. Also it would keep the thorn backwards compatible :-)
>>
>> Sorry - I only saw this message after committing the patch.  What you
>> are asking for, as far as I can tell, is the behaviour that was
>> implemented.  It has been printing the following warning for 3 years:
>>
>> WARNING: No Multipole::variables string has been specified.  For
>> compatibility, the current default is to use \"WeylScal4::Psi4r{sw=-2
>> cmplx=\'WeylScal4::Psi4i\' name=\'psi4\'}\" but in future, this
>> default will change to \"\".  Please update your parameter files to
>> include this new parameter.
>>
>> so I think you have had enough time to update parameter files :)
>
> I don't think Roland suggested to have this "silent default" where the
> thorn checks for an empty parameter value. I think Roland suggested to
> set this as the default value for the parameter, using the standard
> Cactus mechanism for this.
>
> Roland, this is a good idea.

Ah sorry I misunderstood.  I can see why this would be convenient.

I think it might cause a little confusion and breaks the orthogonality
of the design of the various thorns.  I would prefer to leave the
default as it is now, i.e. an empty list of variables, rather than
couple it to WeylScal4, which is an unrelated (except by common use)
thorn.  Of course, this isn't a hugely important point, so If there is
strong support for Roland's suggestion, I would accept the view of the
majority :)

ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de