[Users] Problem with CarpetRegrid2/AMR

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Dec 14 22:58:11 CST 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 19:48 -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 18:27 -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
>         > You are not setting any values on the boundary. Is that
>         intentional?
>

>         Currently, this is because I am using neighboring values in
>         the
>         calculation, so I can't do that on the boundary. Should I do
>         that some
>         other way?
>

> Setting the boundary to zero should be good enough. (The boundary
> values should not be used -- but I don't recall whether this is the
> case.)

Maybe this is another problem with the periodic boundary conditions?
The problem seems to appear in other fields too. I've attached some
images from my test problem. One shows the field configuration (this one
looks like a ring -- it is a slice through  a bubble). The second one
shows the T_00 computed from that. As you can see, the values near the
extremal indicies are wrong. At the next (half) time step, looking at
the field data from level 1, the same phenomonon can be seen in the
level 1 boxes.

These were all done in Kranc, so I did not do any real coding myself ;)

What do you think?

Thanks again,
Hal

--