[Users] Restarting from a checkpoint with simfactory

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Dec 19 16:08:20 CST 2011

Kiki

There was a discussion regarding where to place checkpoint files. I
originally intended them to reside within the corresponding output-NNNN
directories, and this required setting the checkpoint directory to
$parfile, same as the output directory. However, since then others made the
point that they rather wanted all checkpoint files of a simulation in the
same directory, because this enables Cactus to remove the checkpoint files
of previous restarts -- this makes restarts less independent, but can save
disk space. This requires setting the checkpoint directory to
"../checkpoints".

I don't recall what changes were necessary in Simfactory to support this,
but there may have been some.

However, Simfactory always expected all output directories to be set to
$parfile, or to subdirectories of $parfile. It may be that things worked
without doing so, but I never used or tested this myself.

-erik

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Kyriaki Dionysopoulou <kdionyso at aei.mpg.de

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/