[Users] Restarting from a checkpoint with simfactory

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 17:59:43 CST 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>wrote:

> There was a discussion regarding where to place checkpoint files. I
> originally intended them to reside within the corresponding output-NNNN
> directories, and this required setting the checkpoint directory to
> $parfile, same as the output directory. However, since then others made the
> point that they rather wanted all checkpoint files of a simulation in the
> same directory, because this enables Cactus to remove the checkpoint files
> of previous restarts -- this makes restarts less independent, but can save
> disk space. This requires setting the checkpoint directory to
> "../checkpoints".
>
> I don't recall what changes were necessary in Simfactory to support this,
> but there may have been some.

In the end, I don't think any changes were made in order to support this.
The only changes were in the parfiles.

> However, Simfactory always expected all output directories to be set to
> $parfile, or to subdirectories of $parfile. It may be that things worked
> without doing so, but I never used or tested this myself.

I guess it must have always been the case that this didn't work. It does
seem somewhat counter-intuitive that by default Cactus outputs checpoints
to a different location than where it looks for them.

Barry