[Users] [Einstein Toolkit] #66: IOHDF5::out3D_ghosts and friends doesn't work and corrupts 2D data slices

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 21 13:51:14 CST 2011

Hello Ian, all,

> I wasn't really aware of the new-style 3D output method.  Does this
> method allow for parallel output (i.e. one file per process)?  If
> not, then I worry that it might be quite slow.
It does by respecting IOUtil::out_mode and IOUtils::out_proc_every. Note
though that the output files have different names: they contain a .xyz.
fragment the same way that 3d ASCII data does. By default the IOUtil
parameters are such that one output file per processor is created (ie.
the old behaviour). 1d and 2d HDF5 output ignores the IOUtil parameters
to remain backwards compatible (and because it does not make much sense
to spread a couple 100 kB of output data across all processors). You
could even set it up so that it writes only on say 8 out of 512 MPI
processes possibly not overwhelming the cluster's IO subsystem and
making us much more well liked by the admins :-) It might even be faster
since the number of file open/file close calls goes down (which seem to
be slow on lustre file systems).