[Users] Error in compiling einsteintoolkit on Mac

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Feb 8 01:47:24 CST 2011

On 7 Feb 2011, at 18:19, Babiuc-Hamilton, Maria wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have errors in compiling einsteintoolkit.th on a mac:
> First, it did not configure HDF5
> Compiling einsteintoolkit
> CST error 1:
>  -> Configuration script for thorn HDF5 returned exit code 1
>     Error message: 'Error while building HDF5. Aborting.'
>
> With external HDF5 directory, it complained
> Use external hdf5 --error libsz.dylib needed
>
> With external HDF5_DIR and LIBSZ_DIR the error is:

Hi Maria,

I'm not sure I follow.  Did you also try to get HDF5 to build as part of Cactus, before trying the external directories?  If you omit the HDF5_DIR variable, and don't say HDF5=yes, then ExternalLibraries/HDF5 should attempt to build HDF5.  Do you get an error when it tries to build this?  If so, what is that error?  Do you have an up-to-date version of ExternalLibraries/HDF5?

> Preprocessing /Users/babiuc/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOBasic/src/iobasic.cc
> Compiling /Users/babiuc/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOBasic/src/iobasic.cc
> /Users/babiuc/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOBasic/src/iobasic.cc: In function 'bool CarpetIOBasic::UseScientificNotation(const T&) [with T = int]':
> /Users/babiuc/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/src/typecase:131:1:   instantiated from here
> /Users/babiuc/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOBasic/src/iobasic.cc:701:5: internal compiler error: in tsubst_copy_and_build, at cp/pt.c:13326
> Please submit a full bug report,

As Erik said, this indicates a bug in the compiler, which you could report to the GNU team.

Erik: should we consider blacklisting this compiler for the ET until we find a workaround?

ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de