[Users] New thorns for standard thorn list

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Wed Jan 26 13:31:13 CST 2011

On 26 Jan 2011, at 19:24, Frank Loeffler wrote:

>> AEIThorns/SystemStatistics
>
> I didn't use that thorn yet, but it sounds like a good idea. From its
> README:
>
> This thorn collects information about the system Cactus is running on
> and exposes it in Cactus grid variables.

At the moment, it provides Cactus variables for memory statistics such as process memory size and amount of swap used.  It is set up so that it is very easy to add these to your INFO output so that you can see immediately the memory usage.  The example parameter file that comes with it shows how to do this; you do something like:

IOBasic::outInfo_every = 1
IOBasic::outInfo_reductions          = "minimum maximum"
IOBasic::outInfo_vars = "SystemStatistics::maxrss_mb"

and you will see the max and min memory usage across all processes in megabytes.  This also lets you see the memory imbalance.

ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de