[Users] Meeting minutes

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 31 12:17:25 CST 2011

Meeting minutes:

Present were: Frank, Roland, Peter, Josh, Tanja, Ian, Eloisa, Bruno,
Erik, Yosef

ET paper:
* some commits were done during the week and weekend
* please check if you are assigned to a section and expect to be bugged
by Frank if things are still missing by the middle of the week

New thorns:
* do not include the Web 2.0 thorns into the ET thorn list but do
include them into a (future) master thorn list
* include SystemStatistics thorn
* HDF5 now depends on a new thorn ZLIB which find libz

Thornlists:
* have two thornlists, a Einstein Toolkit (smaller list) one and a
master one (everything)

ET workshop:
* we agree that workshop for ET beginners (but experienced grad
students/postdocs), about issues with simulations, ideas on how to
improve the toolkit is a good idea
* have to decide where/when to hold it
* check if we can get some funding from NSF
* will come up with ideas for contents/location/participants during the
week and discuss in the next meeting

Visualization:
* collect current practices of the groups in wiki
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Visualization_of_simulation_results
* visualization was part of the original proposal so we will have to
think about it
* include a simfactory "get" command to copy user specified data from a
cluster

Multipole:
* please have a look at Erik's proposed patch

New thorn submission policy (recap):
* post intention on user mailing list and ask for discussion
* if there is no discussion we will discuss the proposed thorn in the
next meeting
* we prefer full documentation and test suites but if the thorn was used
in a publication we are willing to accept this as a "quality" measure
instead