[Users] CarpetRegrid

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 20 17:32:55 CDT 2011

Hello Luca, Ian,

>> Is any of you using CarpetRegrid (as opposed to CarpetRegrid2)? Is
>> CarpetRegrid still maintained (and tested) in the new versions of
>> Carpet?)
>
> I used to use CarpetRegrid at Penn State because it allowed me to set
> the grid structure that I wanted explicitly in a much easier manner
> than using Carpet's bbox classes etc.  It's possible that the GT
> group still use it.  At AEI we use CarpetRegrid2.
We do still use CarpetRegrid at GT but do not maintain it (since it is
part of Carpet). Since CarpetRegrid2 can do (almost) everything that we
need of CarpetRegrid we will likely transition to Regrid2 when we
transition to Carpet/Hg (though Tanja will have to decide on this). At
that point we will likely start working around things that CarpetRegrid
did and Regrid2 does no longer do (eg. easy steering of parameters when
recovering). On the other hand having full and easy to use AMR in
Regrid2 is very likely worth any associated pain of transitioning to a
new thorn :-)