[Users] Help with tutorial/LONI access;& ETK website down?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Jun 6 04:47:44 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Scott Hawley <scott.hawley at belmont.edu> wrote:
> Hi.  Help?
>
> In following a web page about "getting started" on the einsteintoolkit.org site --- which is currently inoperable, at least from my location...
>
> % ping einsteintoolkit.org
> PING einsteintoolkit.org (130.39.21.31): 56 data bytes
> Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
> Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
> ^C
> --- einsteintoolkit.org ping statistics ---
> 3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
>

> ... --  I followed a link about requesting an account on Queen Bee.     I received an "account activation" email recently, which points me to a few websites which have suspicious SSL certificates.  I haven't added an exception until the sys-admins write me back about that.
>
> The email contained no login information so I tried "ssh queenbee.loni.org", and used my username and password that I'd used in requesting the account...
>
> shawley at queenbee.loni.org's password:
> Connection closed by 208.100.92.23
>
> ...That didn't work.
>
> It also says I need an allocation in addition to an account.    Is there a "Cactus" or "Tutorial" or "EinsteinToolkit" allocation I should use?  I saw several allocations with Erik's name attached but wasn't sure what to do...
>
> Any suggestions?

Scott

Thanks for your pointers.

The EinsteinToolkit web site is working for me; I hope that whatever
problem you experienced is corrected by now.

I see the name "qb.loni.org"  mentioned in the tutorial
<https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Tutorial_for_New_Users>. I
can also use the name "queenbee.loni.org". If you receive a
"connection closed", then either your account is not active, or there
were network problems, or there is a confusion about your password.

Yes, you will need an account, but only to submit jobs, not to log in
or build Cactus. I hear that Frank Löffler replied to you about this,
so I assume this is getting sorted out.

Sorry about these kinds of problems. I always think that it is worst
if people experience problems while getting started, because this is
quite likely to drive them away without even complaining. In this
sense: Thanks for this email!

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/